New buggy, different gearing running hot now?

1:8 Sensored 4-pole Brushless Racing Motors

Moderators: yzracer758, Ty, TekinTeamMgr

New buggy, different gearing running hot now?

Postby hackersmovie » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:46 am

I have an RX8 GenII and T8GenII 2050kv that I ran in my RC8.2e with 17/46 gearing. The buggy was plenty fast and the motor never went over 140 degrees and the ESC ran around 125 degrees.

I just bought a new DEX8 and swapped in my motor and ESC. Ran it for the first time yesterday with 17/50 gearing and after just 5 mins the motor was at 201 degrees! ESC was around 140 degrees.

I geared down to 15/50 and the motor after about 10 mins was at 165 degrees and after 15 mins was at 190 degrees!

Why is it running so much hotter in this new buggy? From what I can see gearing in the 15-17 tooth pinion should be about right.

Also, with the 15/50 gearing, it was topping out about 1/2 to 3/4 down the straight on the track I was on. From what I hear that is not good either?!!?

I'm stumped. :?
| Team Durango | Tekin | Proline | Futaba | JConcepts | TrakPower |

| RC Pro | Mushroom Bowl RC | The Track | Motorama 2015 | SJRC | LCRC | Hobby Hut | Tiltyard | Trains & Lanes |
hackersmovie Offline

Postby hackersmovie » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:16 pm

O.k. so, raced the new buggy for the first time the other day. Made it through 3-6 minute qualifiers and then 9 minutes into the A1 Main, the motor just stopped. I ran it over to the pits and temped the motor can with my infrared temp gun, it read 234 degrees! Pulled the data from the ESC and it showed a motor temp of just 158 degrees. I just sent in an RMA for repair/replacement but, now I'm thinking that the sensor board was bad since I bought it. No way the temp difference should be almost 80 degrees from internal and external.
| Team Durango | Tekin | Proline | Futaba | JConcepts | TrakPower |

| RC Pro | Mushroom Bowl RC | The Track | Motorama 2015 | SJRC | LCRC | Hobby Hut | Tiltyard | Trains & Lanes |
hackersmovie Offline

Postby TekinTeamMgr » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:05 am

You're WAY under geared here. If you look at Ryan Lutz's old Durango setups you'd see he's geared around 20-22 depending on the track and motor used.

The 50T spur is the difference from your old RC8 which you were also under geared on.

Under gearing these motors is just as bad as over gearing them.

Try a 21T and get back to me.
Randy P
TekinTeamMgr Offline

Forum Crew

Return to Redline T8 GEN2